The fact is, chronic pain has become a major public health problem in the United States. Did you know…
- About 116 million Americans endure chronic or recurring pain
- Pain is the number one complaint of older Americans
- One in five older Americans regularly use painkillers
- Migraines plague 25 million people in the U.S.
- One in six Americans suffer from arthritis-related chronic pain
- Low back pain is the fifth most common reason for all physician visits in the U.S.
- Back pain is the most frequent cause of activity limitation in people younger than 45 years old
- Chronic pain can be both physical and emotional. Pain can increase stress levels, which can make pain worse
- The annual cost of chronic pain in the United States, including healthcare expenses, lost income ,and lost productivity, is estimated to be $100 billion
- More women (27.1%) than men (24.4%) report that they are in pain.
- 1 in 3 Americans lose more than 20 hours of sleep each month due to pain