A stellate ganglion block (SGB) is an injection that delivers anesthetic medication to a group of nerves, used to diagnose and treat pain conditions of the upper extremities sustained by the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The stellate ganglion is a nerve bundle belonging to the SNS – an important messaging network that organizes, processes, and controls key body functions (heart rate, blood flow, sweat secretion, etc.). At PMIR Medical Center, we understand the burden of living with chronic pain and are proud to offer this safe, innovative, effective treatment to patients.
What Is a Stellate Ganglion Block?
- Is targeted for your stellate ganglion, a collection of nerves found near your sixth and seventh cervical vertebrae.
- It is a nerve block injection of a local anesthetic that can treat pain disorders of the upper extremities caused by the sympathetic nervous system (SNS).
- It can also manage pain in your head, neck, chest, or arm caused by nerve injuries – and reduces swelling in those areas.
SGB injections are generally recommended for people who have the following pain conditions:
Pain-Relieving Benefits of SGB Injections
The biggest benefits of stellate ganglion block injections include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Provides diagnosis, long-lasting nerve pain relief in the neck, head, chest, and arms.
- Quick, minimally invasive procedures that effectively treat a wide variety of conditions.
- Rapid relief of symptoms afforded to many patients with chronic SNS-related pain.
- Improved circulation, modulation of temperature in SNS-related pain patients.
- Most patients resume their normal daily activities and report a higher quality of life.
Why Choose PMIR Medical Center?
Our pain management specialists at PMIR Medical Center understand your pain and the most effective way to treat it. We use standards of excellence, state-of-the-art equipment, and innovative procedures to develop customized integrative treatment plans to help you achieve long-term, sustainable pain relief. To learn more about how we can help you return to a pain-free, productive lifestyle, schedule an appointment with a PMIR physician today.