Osteoarthritis is a leading joint disorder and cause of disability in the United States, affecting nearly 27 million people. While osteoarthritis is not curable, there are highly effective, life-quality enhancing treatment options available. However, if you have exhausted all non-surgical treatments and are still suffering from pain, viscosupplementation may be the right procedure for you. At PMIR Medical Center, our medically-trained pain management physicians understand pain and how it can affect all aspects of life. Our team of anesthesiologists, neurologists, and support staff can develop a customized, effective treatment plan to reduce your pain and get you back to an active lifestyle.
What Is Viscosupplementation?
Through the treatment method of viscosupplementation, hyaluronic acid injections are used to treat chronic pain-associated osteoarthritis, improve joint functions, and prevent further joint degeneration. The goals of viscosupplementation injections are to:
- Reduce chronic pain.
- Improve joint movement.
- Increase joint lubrication.
- Reduce joint friction and inflammation.
- Perhaps slow osteoarthritis progression.
Hyaluronic Acid Injections, Benefits & Risks
Some of the major benefits of hyaluronic acid injections include (but is not limited to):
- Hyaluronic acid injections can increase the viscosity of the synovial fluid.
- Viscosupplementation increases the cartilage depth on load-bearing surfaces.
- Hyaluronic acid injections stimulate the body’s natural hyaluronic acid production.
- Viscosupplementation can reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation within the joint.
Beyond mild side effects, viscosupplementation risks include (but is not limited to):
- Bursitis and/or infection.
- Extreme swelling and inflammation.
- Allergic reaction to the injected material.
Who Choose PMIR Medical Center?
At PMIR Medical Center, our team of medically trained pain management specialists understands your pain and the most effective way to treat it. We use standards of excellence, state-of-the-art equipment, and innovative procedures to develop customized integrative treatment plans to help you achieve long-term, sustainable pain relief. To learn more about how we can help you return to a pain-free, productive lifestyle, schedule an appointment with a PMIR physician today.