Bothered By Chronic Back or Nerve Pain?
At PMIR Medical Center, our medically trained pain management specialists understand all the aspects of intense, chronic and constant pain. Our team of anesthesiologists and support staff can provide a customized, effective treatment plan to reduce and manage your pain.
Spinal cord stimulation treatments are generally recommended for people who have severe, chronic pain including:
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Nerve Damage
- Phantom & Stump Pain
Spinal cord stimulation (SCS):
- Is a pain-relief technique that uses a low-voltage electric current to block the sensation of pain.
- Uses a small spinal cord stimulator, usually implanted in the abdominal or buttocks region, which continuously delivers electrical pulses to the spinal cord in order to interfere with pain signals before they’re able to reach your brain.
The Benefits of Spinal Cord Stimulation for Pain
- SCS is the most commonly used implantable neurostimulation technology for management of pain syndromes.
- SCS is an effective treatment that can provide significant and sustained reduction in leg and back pain.
- SCS is a reversible therapy, so treatment can be discontinued at any time and the implanted parts can be turned off or removed.
- When using SCS, patients may be able to reduce oral pain medications and their side effects.
The Trial Period for Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Spinal cord stimulation always involves a short trial conducted with a temporary stimulator to determine whether or not SCS can provide a specific patient with adequate pain relief.
- Implantation takes place as an outpatient visit and generally takes 10 to 20 minutes.
- Preset programs are used to emit electrical currents in a pattern designed to target the areas of pain.
- If significant pain relief is achieved, a complete system with generator can then be implanted into your body.